Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Mexican Axolotl

Greetings, All!

R recently sent me an email regarding a Central American amphibian which was completely unknown to me; the Axolotl.

AXC.jpg

Have you heard of them?!

Apparently axolotls are closely related to our own Tiger Salamander:

Eastern-Tiger-Salamander.jpg

But unlike its northern cousin, Axolotls remain all of their lives in a larval state, which is known as neoteny. These salamanders are bred in captivity to further study on the neoteny phenomenon, as well as for the fact that they can REGENERATE ENTIRE LIMBS! Cool.

Unfortunately, Axolotls are suffering in their natural habitat: the lakes and canals within Mexico City. Pollution, water drainage and introduction of alien species, particularly Tilapia, are decimating the Axolotl population. Mur.

Seeing the following photo, I'm tempted to keep an Axolotl aquarium!
axolotls3.jpg

I also want to go to Mexico City to see the canals.
Mexico-Xochimilco.jpg

Crazy salamander,
Wendell!

2 comments:

Miss Non-Sequitur said...

Great posts Wendell, I was WAY behind in my critter corner reading. I LOVED the arts and crafts plant stand good choice. Were you Cher for Halloween? Don't get a dog of any kind. Or a cat. Or any pet for that matter! lol AND You are the most beautiful person in the whole world! Miss you!

Miss Lippy said...

I need one of these immediately! It's even smiling!