Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Como Zoo and Conservatory

Happy President's Day weekend, y'all!

I hope everyone is feeling smoov. R and I have had a very social weekend, including my inaugural broom ball game:
DSCN4481.JPG

It was really fun! R made two goals. But now my legs hurt from falling and I have a bruise on my knee.

Happy Valentine's Day! We had a great meal at home:
DSCN4494.JPG
My first attempt at making crab legs; highly recommended!

These last two weeks in Minnesota have been pretty warm. We can all pretend that spring is here, but it's totally going to snow and get freezing again. When this happens, I recommend heading out to the free Como Conservatory and Zoo!

Sis KB and her fancy new bag in the foreground:
DSCN4405.JPG

A sleeping sloth:
DSCN4415.JPG

My nephew and god-child Baby B! (He was pretty tired by this point.)
DSCN4466.JPG

Fun with the macro lens and the orchids:
DSCN4452.JPG

Baby B enjoyed them too!
DSCN4453.JPG

The flower building:
DSCN4449.JPG

Some of the zoo animals are outside, however.
DSCN4435.JPG
We wondered if the lady lion was expecting.

The American Bison!
DSCN4440.JPG

A mama and baby giraffe:
DSCN4437.JPG

Back indoors, a crazy monkey:
DSCN4422.JPG

DSCN4420.JPG

Leaf-cutting ants, which were so cool!
DSCN4412.JPG

And a new heebie-jeebie inducing critter:
DSCN4411.JPG

The Tanzanian Tailless Whip Scorpion!
TanzanianGiantTaillessWhipScorpionWHSp_AP7I.jpg

Apparently these African dudes are fairly harmless; capable of pinching people but more likely to run away instead! They eat insects and make good pets! Yikes.

For some reason in my eight-plus years of living in Minneapolis, I have never been to the Como Conservatory! It was so humid and lovely in the buildings, and of course great to hang out with KB and Baby B and check out some critters.

So in a few weeks when everything still looks like this:
Minnesota_Winter-Hello.jpg

Hasten to the Como Zoo and Conservatory for a little of this:
DSCN4444.JPG

xooxox
Wendell!

3 comments:

Miss Lippy said...

If I lived in the cities, I would be the phantom of the Como Zoo and hang out in the humidity all day long... We have a broomball league up here; it's where the action is on Wednesday nights! Glad to hear you survived with no broken bones!

Senor R said...

mmmm surf n turf. Looks yummy! Cool critters!

Big W said...

Baby B has great hair! I want the crab legs! That she-lion does look robust!