Friday, March 14, 2008

Colorado Part II

Yee haw! Happy Friday, dudes.

I hope you have all had a good week. It seems Spring Fever has hit Minneapolis, although I guess we get the most snow in March, so we'll see what happens!

As you might remember from my last vacation entry, R and I were about to leave Golden, Colorado. The trip was a snowy one through the passes, and we drove near the Red Rocks Amphitheater and saw some beautiful scenery. We were heading south to visit sister JB and future bro JF in Salida.

DSCN3357.JPG
Side Note: The "S" on the mountain glowed white at night, and alternated with the outline of a red heart. JB hates the signs! I loved them, though.

JB and JF are starting a guest hostel in Salida!

DSCN3349.JPG

We chillaxed Tuesday night and saw the town. JB and JF know so many people already. There is a real sense of community and camaraderie in Salida. On Wednesday we were going to Monarch Mountain to ski and snowboard! Here is a webcam near one of the lifts!

I've only skied three times in the last twelve years, but ski design has advanced a lot since then, making it easier for beginners, and I feel somewhat confident. It was really crazy to be on a real mountain, however! Monarch was very beautiful, and other than biffing it and not being able to put my skis back on (for a while) it was really fun. Our cardiovascular endurance suffered from the altitude, though! We decided not to bring our camera, but did pay a photographer for this photo:

_MG_0036.JPG

After skiing, JB and I checked out the local thrift store, where I scored a work out tank for ten cents! Then we checked out one of the many hot springs in the area. It was fun to soak in the clothing-optional, 95 degree pool! We wore swimsuits, but there were two women soaking with us in the nude. It was amazing to watch the sun set across the valley while enjoying a natural hot tub! I especially loved the geothermically heated creek, which was lined with strange green plants.

Too soon, however, it was time for R and I to return to Minnesota.

DSCN3355.JPG

DSCN3352.JPG

Gotta love a buffalo sculpture!
DSCN3351.JPG

One of JF and JB's housemates has this ADORABLE puppy:
DSCN3356.JPG

I hope you enjoyed these photos! Next I'll present a few creatures we saw in Colorado!

xooxoxox
Wendell!

2 comments:

Miss Non-Sequitur said...

I hope you didn't fall down in the snow on your cutie little be-hind. I haven't down hilled since 7th grade!! I think I'll stay in my shoes :) Cute pics!

Big W said...

I have to say that your bear an uncanny resemblance to your mom in the skiing photo! For reals! I thought it was my very own Aunt P on the slopes at first!